Thursday 7 April 2011

Bit more hospital fun!

First of all let me start with some good news! Over the weekend I bumped into my consultant and asked him exactly why I wasn't having a bone marrow transplant, to which he gave the best reply I could have hoped for! A while back he mentioned that there is a form of FLT-3 (the mutation I have) which isn't bad and doesn't affect the prognosis. However, only 10% of people with the mutation fall under this category - and I'm in that 10%! This not only means that I wont be needing the bone marrow biopsy but it also means the likelihood of me not relapsing has shot up from 25% to 40/50%!
Anyway, a bit of not so good news was that on Monday I noticed I had a bit of stomach ache which was getting progressively worse over the day. In the afternoon I went over to the day unit to have my observations done and they saw that my temperature was slowly creeping up. The doctor had a look at me and told me that I could stay at the hostel but if anything got worse I should phone the on call doctor immediately. At 0300 in the morning my temperature was 37.8 so I phoned the doctor (who was blatantly asleep) and was told to come into the hospital straight away. Since then I've had x-rays and antibiotics. The worrying thing was that my immune system was still at 0.0 so my body couldn't fight whatever infection it was that was bothering me. But last night, well early this morning my temperature was down to 36.6 and now 36.3 which is so much better than the 38 mark that it's been at for the last few days! I've had a blood test this morning and I'm hoping that that will show that I've got some neutrophils back too. 
So all's good now! Just hoping to get back home very soon!

1 comment:

  1. Hallo Matt,

    beste Genesungswuensche von Ingrid und Klaus (DF5XG)

    ReplyDelete