Sunday 30 January 2011

A long awaited update!

I apologise for not updating this sooner! Over the last couple of days I tried to upload a video of me talking about the latest news but it failed to upload. I'll try again sometime.
So for a now it's back to writing.
I came out of hospital on Wednesday night, pretty late, after having my last syringe of chemo and a couple of bags of blood. I left the hospital with a neutrifil count of 1.1 and I needed to go back straight away when they were at 0.5 as I'd be neutropenic and prone to infection which I can't fight. (Neutrifils are pretty much the immune system, as I understand it anyway).
On Thursday I just relaxed and caught up on a couple of things and on Friday morning I needed to go to Colchester hospital for a blood test expecting to go back to Barts on Saturday. However, on Thursday night mum had the pleasure of giving me an injection to boost my white blood cells. It'd been 20 years since she'd last given an injection and I was seriously considering giving it myself, but I lacked a third hand to hold the skin on my arm. After a bit of sweating it was done and very well too! Far better than some of the nurses at the hospital in fact!
Back to the point - I was expecting my neutrifils to have dropped but they had risen to 5.5 meaning I could stay home until Sunday! The result of the injection!
In the evening I went over to Fellowship Afloat where I work (www.fact.org.uk ) and spent some time with the guys there.
On Saturday I had a lazy morning with the guys from FACT coming over in the afternoon which again was great fun.
This morning began with a fry-up - bacon, eggs, black pudding, sausages - the works! So I was set up for going back to hospital. I had a blood test when I arrived which revealed that my neutrifils were down to 0.6, but I was allowed to go back home for the night which I've done!
On arriving at home I gulped down some dinner and then hit the road again to go to church in Danbury where I again saw friends and had a good time!
I'm pretty tired now and am not looking forward to the next couple of weeks. I go back tomorrow morning and will be prone to infection. It's likely I'll have mucositis again but on the plus I'll be back on morphine! I had some very bizarre moments last time. More on that later!
Next month, if all goes to plan, I'll be on a powerboat course, so I have something to look forward to! (The doctors don't know yet but they'll be fine with it!)
It's been a long day and sleep is much needed!
Will keep you posted!
(Apologies for any spelling mistakes or grammatical error but I have no will power left to make me re-read what I've written! I'm sure you'll get the gist!)

No comments:

Post a Comment