Thursday 20 January 2011

More potions...

Looks like I'm writing this now!
So I came back to hospital on Monday but only started chemo yesterday. It's been a bit of a rougher ride than last time. Have been feeling more sick and exhausted but towards the end of the day I've been feeling better again. I have three or four lots of chemo each day. I have my final dose for today in about 15 minutes. 
Today I saw the consultant, Dr. Smith who told me a bit more of where I'm at. I responded well to the first cycle of chemotherapy, however, just because they can't see any leukaemia cells in my bone marrow at the moment they know it's still there so the chemo I'm having at the moment is trying to get rid of as many of them as it can. This reduces the chance of a relapse in the future. If the treatment goes to plan (after either two more cycles of chemo or a bone marrow transplant) I should have a 25% chance of living a life without the risk of a relapse. Normally it would be a 50% chance but since I have what's called a FLT-3 mutation on my cells, a result of the leukaemia in its early stages, the likelihood is reduced by half. However, I'm still optimistic that I'm in that 25% chance, God willing! He doesn't do statistics. 
On Tuesday I was allowed out of my room and as well as having a coffee with mum and dad we went to a church service around the corner. The chorus of a hymn sung goes like this:


"Great is Thy faithfulness!" "Great is Thy faithfulness!"
  Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided—
    "Great is Thy faithfulness," Lord, unto me!


God is good. He is faithful to His Word and His goodness. Each morning I see new mercies poured out on me. God has provided all things I need to get through this time. In fact He's the only thing I need to get through this time and I'm learning that more and more each day.


Now, time for a bit of magic potion and sleeeeeeeep! Have a good night friends!


Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment