Monday 21 March 2011

Final Push...

Well, it's been a while since the last post and a lot has happened since being back home! I've been going into Colchester hospital for regular blood tests which have always been fine and I had an appointment with a consultant on Wednesday. An outcome of that meeting was that a suitable bone marrow donor has been found. There are 12 categories that need to be matched and this donor ticks 11 of those boxes. However, the area which is not a match isn't very important so they'd be happy to use him/her. The results of my last bone marrow biopsy had also returned which still showed that I am in remission - Still no sign of any leukaemia cells (but they know there are still a few hovering around. Just praying that don't club together and kick off again).
So since being at home I've spent most of my time back at Fellowship Afloat. It's felt like nothing's different (apart from the odd afternoon where tiredness kicked in) but towards the end of my time out of hospital I've felt better than I have done in ages. I've got back up to my previous weight thanks to some good food, and lots of it. And my fitness is increasing too.
At the moment I'm in my hospital bed waiting for a visit from the doctor. Tomorrow I'll have another bone marrow biopsy and will begin my fourth and final round of chemotherapy. Only another six days of these life saving drugs! In about two and a half weeks I should be out again FOR GOOD!
I'm also back in Bodley Scott 1, the ward where I was at the very beginning, which is brilliant as the staff are top notch and I have my own room.
This last time at home has had it's downs as well. With everything feeling like it used to be, with nothing wrong, made it hard to think of the coming next weeks in hospital. But hey! In the grand scheme of things it's nothing, and if it keeps me better I think it's worth it!
Ho­ra­tio G. Spaf­ford was an American lawyer during the mid 19th Century and following the death of his only son, the collapse of his business and the death of his two daughters in a shipping accident he wrote these words in the well known hymn 'When Peace Like a River'

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to know,
It is well, it is well with my soul.
These words (and those in the rest of the hymn) have comforted and strengthened me in the last few weeks. What the future holds I do not know, but in whatever life throws at me, through whatever storms I go, God has taught me to recognise that 'it is well with my soul'. My soul, the core of my being, is secure in the certain hope that I have; namely that God is in control, has a purpose in everything and will one day take me to be with Him. But, I'm praying I have many more years here first! And I have no doubt I will!

Below are some photos from the last couple of days:

Frinton beach before going into hospital today

Father and son

Sailing on Saturday



 

3 comments:

  1. I am so humbled by your comments Matthew. There is no doubt at all that God has something very very special for you in the future.What a wonderful God we have and how proud He must be of you and your witness. i will pray for you until the day I die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I endorse everything Uncle John has said. Thank you for your encouragement and inspiration. I am proud to have you as my grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who is that old man in the photo????!!!!!! (You better not show him this Matthew!!!!).Keep up the good work and we will keep up the praying.Carole

    ReplyDelete